Tuesday, August 23, 2005

pay for what you get...

...as the Dave Matthews song goes. Well, much has happened since the last post. First, I've changed Jobs. I'm now an ironworker, which pays nearly 2x as much as my previous job and i won't have to work any Saturdays. Wa-Hoo!! I had stayed with my previous job for far too long but was too comfortable to change, which is a dangerous place to get to. In between the last job and the current job there was an interview w/ Best Buy, or should I say the interview from Hell? Hands down the worst interview I've ever had. I was overly eager for a job in which I knew I wasn't qualified for. Because I wasn't qualified, they tried to stick me in a sales position paying me what they pay their high school kids who work there. I was trying so hard to get that measly job that at one point the interviewer stopped me and said: Stop selling yourself. That phrase has stuck with me these past few days. "Stop selling yourself." How often do we try to 'sell ourselves'? To impress others with what we've done, where we've been, who we know, what we know? I know that my own motivation for several of the events I do (theater, running) is to chalk it up as an experience so that I can 'sell myself' to others by saying, 'oh yeah? well look what I've done' I mailed my medical forms on Friday. My hope is that I will be able to get everything in and done so that I can still leave in November. I had a looker at my house this weekend, but I haven't heard anything back yet...

1 Comments:

At 23 August, 2005, Blogger cory said...

point well taken about not trying to sell yourself. a lot of the peace corps feels like that, especially when it comes time to change/update your resume to please the host country and match whatever skills you have to a specific job.

ah, the days of medical clearance, they seem so long ago… my process took about a month and a half, and i had to fill out some additional forms. so providing you’re fit, i wouldn’t think it’d be a problem for november. you never know, though. good fortunes with that all.

p.s. thanks for the link on the side.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home