Saturday, March 18, 2006

Greetings from Uganda!!!!

Well, I made it!!! So much to say and so little time to say it. Uganda is much more green than I expected. At times I forget that I'm in Africa except for the exeptionally dark poeople all over the place staring and calling me "Muzungu" (White traveler, but it's much more of a description than a deragatory term). The weather is of course warm, but not unbearable. I'm living in a house made of cement with no celings and a tin roof. There are 5 brothers in my host family and one sister. The food is good, better than when I was in Mexico, for sure. Many of the things we eat are very starchy - rice, 'irish' potatoes, 'matoke' which is a mashed banana they eat EVERY MEAL, etc. I've also had fish, pork, beef, and chicken. The electricity in the city I'm in is on one day and off the next day, which is common. They ration it out to conserve. Most people here walk or ride bicycles to get around. There are many bike taxis and car taxis. We recently went on a trip out of town in a 'taxi' that should have sat 9 people and I counted 17 people in side. they just make room and sit on each others laps... it's funny, and somewhat safe i guess. I did manage to get sick on thursday and had a fever as high as 103 and diareaha for about 3 days but i'm better now. I just call it an adjustment period. Well, I should run. Please write me at the address I've posted in the Rt hand collumn! Love you all, miss you and look forward to writing more soon...

8 Comments:

At 18 March, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

brian sorry you were sick but im glad your enjoying your time we all miss you and are in our prayers here in rushtucky

 
At 19 March, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian,

So glad to hear from you. It's so interesting to hear about life so far away. I'll write soon.

Love you,
MEL

 
At 21 March, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Starchy foods, huh? Not too much of an adjustment from the midwest I suppose. Glad you are feeling better. I will post your address on my Xanga. Who knows? You may get some surprises. Btw...I gave up on blogspot months ago, so you need to change my link again. I promise to stay in one spot this time! http://www.xanga.com/jen_noble1980

 
At 21 March, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian -
Sounds fantastic! Thanks for the updates. I'm living vicariously through you right now - and loving it! I'll definitely write you there. Next time you post maybe you can list some things we can send you that you think you might need in a month. I'm happy to send anything - something for you or your host family or anything. You're always in my prayers!

Nanette

 
At 23 March, 2006, Blogger Crystal said...

Hi Brian! Happy to hear you have made it safe and seem to be getting adjusted to your new environment! I leave for Africa in less than 6wks and Uganda will be on the iteniary, so I look forward to hearing how it's going for you. Best Wishes~~~

 
At 24 March, 2006, Blogger Chris and Chrissy Miller said...

Glad you made it over safe! Look forward to following your adventures via the blog. Take care of yourself.

 
At 28 March, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian, you asked me for Morgan's email address. The only address I have is brown5410@aol.com - so you might try that. I couldn't figure out how to text message from the web site you sent me. Sorry!!!

Jen

 
At 04 April, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pull through my friend. I hope it becomes easier there. GL in future..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home