Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Bike for Compassion

A common question I receive is, “What are you going to do after the Peace Corps?” My new answer to them is, “Ride a bicycle across the US!”

I’ve begun planning a bike trip across the continental US to raise money for a building project for Compassion International with cooperation from Purdue Christian Campus House. The bike trip will take around 50 days and will cover over 4,000 miles. My goal is to raise $30,000 by August 2008 (the end of the bike ride) for the Child Development Center (Compassion) where I am serving as a PCV. I have yet to determine the exact route I will be taking but it will generally follow the Transamerica Bicycle Trail.

When I first arrived at my site in May of 2006 I began assessing the needs of the community and the organization for which I worked. Doing that requires observing and inquiring. I soon discovered that there was a need for a community hall to be used not only by Compassion but also by the church as well as the 2 nearby schools. Since that time a building committee has been formed, building plans have been submitted, revised and re-submitted, building estimates have been calculated and construction has begun. The building foundation is set and the walls are soon to go up. We have thus far raised $14,000 but we are only half way to our final goal.

For more information on the project and the bike ride or to make a contribution follow the following link: Bike for Compassion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home